Thursday 7 June 2012

Marriage of Minds (Marketing Week, By Nicola Smith)


Keith Weed joined Unilever in 1983 and, after a variety of global and regional management and marketing roles, has been the company’s chief marketing and communications officer since March 2010.
“Before being appointed CMO, I ran some large businesses within Unilever, so I was aware of IT and the chief information officer. What has changed over the last 10 years is that we now see IT more as a source of competitive advantage, rather than a cost.
I was clear from the start that I needed IT at the table to achieve our vision. I could see straight away that the growth of digital and social media offered incredibly exciting opportunities to foster dialogue and generate brand advocacy. But while we already had pockets of great success, there was an opportunity to do more - and Mark McClennon understood this. It was a realisation that if we wanted to fulfil our ambition of being one of the best marketing companies in the world, we needed to reposition IT from necessary evil to true competitive advantage. We knew that building a stronger information capability was going to be pivotal for us.
One of my secrets is that I’m an engineer by training so the world of technology isn’t that foreign to me. Also, from the start we had a shared vision for what we wanted to achieve, so communication was fairly straightforward. Mark is an integral part of my team; his insight is always welcome and expected.
One of the big differences is around speed. We have a great IT team but they were often used to working to the beat of an internal drum - in marketing, we have to move at the pace of our consumers, which is much more real time. We are now finding new ways of working that enable us to turn around activities in days and weeks, rather than months and years, which is exactly what we need.
I think of Mark as part of my core team so we’ll speak often. I can’t really see how any business hoping to be successful these days can do it without IT at its side.”
Mark McClennon has been chief information officer at Unilever since January 2011. He was previously vice-president, head of IT for Unilever in North America.
“The day that Keith was announced as CMO he called me and said he had the greatest role ever for me: to help him take marketing in Unilever to the next level, with technology at the heart of many of the changes. At the time I was CIO of our North American business and fairly settled in the US, but the role was too good to turn down.
To work successfully, we had to make it a true partnership. From day one, the whole of the senior marketing leadership embraced the idea of working closely.
This ensured that IT had a seat at the table for all the core business debates and that we were not an afterthought. Wherever possible we sit in the marketing team rather than separately, and I probably speak to Keith or someone in his marketing leadership team on a daily basis.
There is this fallacy of IT people sitting in basements surrounded by dismantled PCs. I’ve spent the last 20 years of my career mostly in IT - the last four on the board in a $10bn organisation - mainly working on real business issues. Most of my peers in Unilever IT have similar backgrounds and all my team members move easily between IT and marketing.
One of the biggest cultural differences between the functions is the approach to experimentation. In a digital world, you have to be able to experiment. Many of us in IT had lost the ability to do this as the core of our agenda had been largely around large-scale internal programmes. Working closely with the marketing team has helped us to rediscover a passion for the art of the possible within IT and push back the boundaries.”